Monday, November 02, 2015

Still Searching for My Adonis

Aphrodite and Adonis..always in the hunt.


In honor of #SherryWeek, I'd like to share my very favorite Sherry cocktail.  I was asked once what is the sexiest cocktail a guy can order from me.  Definitely the Adonis.  Its low alcohol, was featured in my favorite cocktail book, The Savoy, and its a sherrific take on a Manhattan.  Dating from that time when the Manhattan was king, the Adonis was created in the 1880's and named for the first Broadway musical to have more that 500 performances.  See?  It appeals to my theatrical background as well.  Plus, can you imagine anything more sexy than a man ordering and Adonis?  He'd be my Adonis for sure.
The original called for Fino Sherry, but I met the wonderful Dinah Sanders in my bar who has a different take in her book The Art of the Shim, a book of low alcohol cocktails.  She uses a dry oloroso.  My favorite in that style is from Bodega of Gutierrez Colosia.  Situated on the Bay of Cadiz, this sherry ages 12 years in the solera system by the sea, lending to it a salty dry quality that makes it perfect for sipping with cured meats, or with this perfect cocktail.  Sangre y Trabajardo means the blood and the worker.  The cooper who made the sherry used to share his hard work with his butcher neighbors.  
For more info about this great sherry, check out this blog post from the Formaggio Kitchen: http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/blog/a-favorite-winter-warmer-sangre-y-trabajadero-oloroso-sherry/
And try ordering an Adonis the next time you go into a cocktail bar.  Who knows, the bartender may fall in love with you!








Adonis
1½ oz. dry oloroso sherry
1½ oz. sweet vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: orange peel

Stir ingredients with ice in a mixing glass and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with peel expressing the oils on to the top of the drink.



No comments: