Wednesday, May 27, 2015

I’ll Take Manhattan

My Manhattan variations 






My favorite historical cocktail is the Manhattan.  This is the drink that exemplifies the cosmic shift in the universe from New Orleans to New York.  Why I dare say the cocktail’s rise to fame and glory began the day they finished the Eire Canal.  New York City becomes the most important port in America and our elders across the pond began to take notice.  Trade brings wine, spirits and vermouth from the Old Country as well as their tired and poor yearning to drink free.  This old world drinking style combines in a glass with bitters,  American Rye whiskey, the spirit George Washington and Thomas Jefferson made,  and pour like silk woven into the new American fabric.  The drink represents the new sophistication of Industrialized America and the world wide scope that our power now reached.
On a personal note, this is the first drink I learned how to make.  My grandpa taught me when I was 7 so I literally have over 30 years of experience making a Manhattan.  My Gramps had 44 grand kids and I was a girl right in the middle trying to get his attention and since I was always obsessed with those classic cocktail placemats at the diners our family would frequent, I became his personal barman.  He liked his sweet, a  1:1 ratio bourbon to sweet vermouth.  I like mine perfect with a twist, and with Rye, natch.
It was family lore that my Grandfather’s parents met while they were working at the old Waldorf-Astoria hotel.  But I have only recently discovered that my great –grandfather worked as a Waiter and bar man and made have been under the tutelage of the famous Oscar Tschirky.
It is my personal quest to find out more of about the origins and popularity of my favorite cocktail, The Manhattan and the city where my family bloomed.

My variations

Big Chief
2 oz Bourbon (Willet Pot Still)
½ oz Averna
½ oz Punt e Mes
Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a flamed orange disk

Longshorman
2 oz Rye (Willet Rye)
½ oz Averna
½ oz Punt e Mes
Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a flamed orange disk

The bitters are in the Punt e mes and this has a darker, deeper richer Manhattan.  Make it with Rye and I call it The Longshorman, because of its similarities to a Red Hook, which is based on the Brooklyn, which, in turn, was based on the Manhattan. They are both great 3 ingredient cocktails.

New York Mutt
2 oz Irish Whiskey (love Knappogue Castle 12 year old single malt..or Power’s John Lane)
½ oz  Pierre Ferrand dry curacao
¾ oz Sweet vermouth (Cinzano)
Dash of Maraschino Liqueur
Dash of Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Bitters
Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a lemon twist
I am Irish, Italian, Sicilian, French and Austrian.  My Mom used to call me a New York Mutt.  The ingredients in this cocktail represent every country my ancestors left to come to America, specifically, New York City.

7 Steps to Hell
2 oz Scotch (Black Grouse)
½ oz  Pierre Ferrand dry curacao
¾ oz Sweet vermouth (Cinzano)
Dash of Maraschino Liqueur
3 Dash of Bitter Truth Creole Bitters
Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a lemon twist
A twist on my New York Mutt, this contains ingredients from all the countries my Grandfather Vincent served in during WWII.  He fought in Patton’s 7th army, his unit’s name?  7 Steps to Hell.  My Grammy’s nickname to this day is Hell Kitty.  She was their pin up mascot.

Old Square
1 oz Bourbon
1 oz Lairds Apple Brandy, Bonded
1 oz sweet vermouth
Barspoon of Benedictine
Dash of Ango bittere
Dash of Orange bitters
Stir and strain into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with a lemon twist
Really a Vieux Carre variation (which I see as a Manhattan variation for sure), but more “American” with the apple brandy and Bourbon, our official spirit as of 1964, and served up instead of on the rocks.  Came to me when I preferred my Vieux Carre’s served up and my Nola bartending friends told me emphatically that it was not a Vieux Carre if it was not served on the rocks.

Hickory Chicory Dock
2 oz Rye (Willet Rye)
1 oz Hoodoo Chicory Liquor
Dash of Orange bitters
Dash of Chocolate Mole bitters
Strain and serve up in a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry
This is a nice twist if you can get your hands on this chicory liqueur.  

Perfect Pearing
1 oz Bourbon
1 oz Pear Brandy
1 oz Martini Gran Lusso (Or Lillet Red)
Stir over a big rock and garnish with a dusting of fresh grated cinnamon

Really I think this is another Vieux Carre variation, but certainly rooted in the principle ideas of the Manhattan.  Spirit, Vermouth and hint of bitter or bark in a 2:1:dash ratio.

No comments: